The Academy of Science and Engineering Board of Directors
Loren M. Hill, PhD., Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Rashidi A. Jones, Treasurer email@example.com
The function of the Board of Directors is to provide governance for a number of aspects of the Academy of Science and Engineering (ASE) High School, including but not limited to, the oversight of the budget, finance and expenditures; and a capital campaign. ASE seeks highly motivated, qualified individuals to fulfill 1-3 year commitments serving as members of its Board of Directors. We are looking for people with backgrounds and experience in one or more of the following areas: law, government, business, public relations, facilities, social services, and fundraising.
Board positions are strictly voluntary but highly rewarding in that board members support a community high school with a STEM Pathways, project-based learning focus. Board members can expect to meet the first Saturday in July, September, November, January, March, May and June. Meetings begin at 12 noon. Special board meetings may need to be held from time to time. Typically, there is correspondence and other reading material given to board members one week prior to each meeting to allow board members to read and consider prior to meeting.
The following is a partial list of Board of Director responsibilities:
· Upholds and supports the mission, vision and beliefs of the Academy of Science and Engineering
· Hires, supervises, evaluates, disciplines, and/or dismisses Executive Director
· Approves and monitors ASE’s annual budgets and budget revisions
· Contracts with an external independent auditor with experience in education/school audits to produce an annual financial audit according to generally accepted accounting practices
· Executes all applicable responsibilities provided for in the California Corporations Code
· Engages in ongoing strategic planning
· Approves the schedule of Board meetings
· Participates in the dispute resolution procedure and complaint procedures when necessary
· Approves charter amendments as necessary and submit requests for material revisions as necessary to the Los Angeles Unified School District for consideration
· Appoints an administrative panel or acts as a hearing body and takes action on recommended student expulsions
If you have any questions, please contact us at 323 545 1100.